[PLUG] Blank screen after startup

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Tue Mar 9 01:46:31 UTC 2021

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 7:21 PM Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

> On 3/8/21 5:07 PM, Bill Barry wrote:
> > Did this happen after an update of the video driver?
>
> No. This morning I was using ENU-2 as my main desktop machine. After
> lunch I shut down both ENU-2 and ENU-1 and swapped boxes. All the
> peripherals stayed where they were. Both machines have a keyboard,
> mouse, speakers, and two monitors. So all the stuff that had been on
> ENU-2 are now connected to ENU-1, and vice versa. ENU-1 is up and
> running Xubuntu 20.04, mostly as I expect it to. ENU-2, not so much.
>
> > Does alt-F1 give you a real text login screen with the word login there?
> > That should probably be ctrl-alt-F1
>
> Yes, ctrl-alt-F1 does give me a real text login screen, after the
> Xubuntu splash screen goes away. I am able to login there. I'm told that
> there are 7 packages that can be uploaded. apt list --upgradable tells
> me one is a gnome-sudoku, and the other 6 are bionic-security upgrades.
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

I don't know what the problem is, but I am still guessing that it is
some problem with the display settings that is not automatically fixed
by going back to one screen.

There are some good suggestions here
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=10730

I will summarize the part that might work.

>From the terminal where you logged in

sudo service lightdm stop
rm ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml
sudo service lightdm start
alt-F7

or perhaps instead of alt-F7
sudo shutdown -r now