[PLUG] Resolved: Blank screen after startup

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Mar 9 02:16:21 UTC 2021

On 3/8/21 5:57 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:

> From Ben's comment and looking at the log I'm thinking it's got
> something to do with left over nVidia stuff. I should be able to do
> something to clear that out and go with the Nouveau driver, right?

I followed instructions at:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/disable-remove-nvidia-drivers-on-ubuntu/

where I verified that there were a bunch of nVidia files on the machine,
ran:

sudo apt remove --purge '^nvidia-.*'
sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop
echo 'nouveau' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then I rebooted and the machine is now working as expected.

The odd thing to me is that all I did was disconnect stuff and reconnect
stuff. I suppose that will go in the bucket of unexplained stuff.

Anyway, thank you, Bill, and Ben, for your advice.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens