[PLUG] Odd 4.1 KB Volume

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Thu Mar 11 04:57:37 UTC 2021

Something I've seen on Xubuntu 18.04 is from time to time, irregularly
and infrequently, an icon shows up on the desktop labeled, "4.1 KB
Volume". I'm now seeing it in Xubuntu 20.04. ... and I just found
something that could be the issue:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2414983

Most of the way down the page it says,

> It's because of snapd!
>
> Snap packages are mounted as loop devices from squashfs files. It
> seems when a package is updated, the old loop device is left unmounted
> and Xfce shows this unmounted device on your desktop.
>
> Snap packages are updated automatically which is why these seem to
> randomly appear over time.
>
> I am interested in a solution to make Xfce not display these unmounted
> loop devices. This might be a snap issue, maybe it fails to delete the
> old loop devices sometimes. I just tested by installing a snap
> ("hello"); it was mounted from /dev/loop9. Then I removed it, and a
> volume flashed on the desktop for a moment. I think this was during
> the time between the loop device being unmounted and then deleted;
> /dev/loop9 doesn't appear in lsblk anymore. But I have this "96 MB
> Volume" which is /dev/loop5 and not mounted to anything, so for
> whatever reason snapd didn't delete this block device when it
> automatically updated whatever it was for.

I had just finished installing Zoom, so maybe that's it.

Has anyone else run into this? Is it just an annoyance, or is it
something I should be concerned about, or is it something I need to
report to somebody at Zoom?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens