[PLUG] Recommend device[s] to replace rented cable modem with openwrt

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Mon May 3 21:55:02 UTC 2021

When I had cable here where I live, they rented out their modem.
As soon as I could I went and bought the latest and greatest modem,
no WiFi just a bridging device from the coax to the ethernet port on
my router.

I have used a gamut of routers some running OpenWRT, now at
present I am using Mikrotik RB2011 talking to a 24 port Cisco which
has 1G POE ports for all of the POE stuff. I also have Mikrotik AP's
presently 2 of them. I can use my phones on WiFi calling and move
around the house, the Mikrotiks hand off quite well, no lost audio
or calls.

Oh yes we have a great surplus computer recycler here in OKC.
that is where I have found all of my GB PoE administered switches.

I think if I had it to go again I would probably go the Ubiquiti route,
I have done several lately and found that it is easier to teach to folks
but maybe not for my stuff.

Learning Mikrotik stuff has a curve but I got there and for the price
it does well. I do not allow the network vampires to sell me WiFi
router/modems, I do not allow them to sell/rent me routers either,
all I want is a bridge into their network, otherwise you become like
a dog with ticks... And on top of that they charge out the yin yang
for their crappy internet service.

I try to keep the network providers as far out of my home as possible.
Presently with AT&T (the other provider in OKC) they only have bonded
copper here but it is a steady 50mb regardless, when I was on Cox
I was paying for their "megablast" or whatever it was, which was quite
fast during the day but after evening set in it would go to buffering city.
I never have that issue with AT&T.  But the BW is not shared with them.
I hope that some day they run fibre through here but I can live with the
bonded copper, sooner or later they have got to do something because
the old stuff is slowly dying.

So yes, just get a good MODEM with nothing but bridging and no
WiFi, use your own router, switches and AP, I for one do not like the
AP built into the router either, keep them separate...