[PLUG] Trying to install a new OS on an older machine

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri May 7 04:38:34 UTC 2021

On 5/6/21 4:24 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> Distributions have been dropping support for 32 bit CPUs, but the Atom
> D525 is 64-bit according to
> https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/49490/intel-atom-processor-d525-1m-cache-1-80-ghz.html

Yes, this is a 64 bit machine.

> "Linux distributions now commonly use a PAE-enabled kernel as the
> default, a trend that began in 2009.[25] As of 2012 many, including
> Ubuntu (and derivatives like Xubuntu and Linux Mint),[26][27] Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux 6.0,[28] and CentOS, have stopped distributing
> non-PAE kernels, thus making PAE-supporting hardware mandatory. Linux
> distributions that require PAE may refuse to boot on Pentium M family
> processors because they do not show the PAE support flag in their
> CPUID information (even though it is supported internally).[5]
> However, this can be easily bypassed, at least in Ubuntu, with the
> forcepae option.[29]
>
> Distributions that still provide a non-PAE option, including Debian
> (and derivatives like LMDE 2 (Linux Mint Debian Edition)[30]),
> Slackware, and LXLE, typically do so with "i386", "i486", or "retro"
> labels.[31][32] The article Lightweight Linux distribution does list
> some others, allowing to install Linux onto old computers."   -- from
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension
>
> PAE isn't likely your problem if you have a 64-bit CPU.

I used this Plop CD to do two installations in the past, and maybe a
third time earlier for which I don't have installation notes. The first
set of notes I have is from and Ubuntu 12.04 installation, done October
6, 2015. The second set of notes if from the currently installed
Slackware 14.2 installation done March 3, 2019. My notes for the
Slackware install indicate that I used the Plop CD to boot from a USB
stick. So I know it worked in the past.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens