[PLUG] Descrambling PDFs from Docusign and such on Linux

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 18 23:37:25 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 18, 2021, 19:25 Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 May 2021, TomasK wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of some linuxy way to get rid of this BS and convert the
> > PDFs to normal unicode?
>
> Tomas,
>
> Try printing the document(s) to file. For example, if you can view them in
> xpdf do so then click the print icon, select 'print to file', name it and
> see the result. I've found that most of the time this gives me a clean,
> unencumbered PDF.
> .

Is your experience based on the scenario described above?

In my experience, I either get the original scrambled content or just
pictures of the original text if I raster it. That is the process I
described that I would like to avoid: print + OCR + generate PDF with the
images + text underneath. This converts 400kB pdf to 100+MB monster and
hurts my hands and feelings.

-T