[PLUG] Recommended battery UPS?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri May 21 02:30:41 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 11:21 PM Tom <tgrom.automail at nuegia.net> wrote:

> In my experience, I've had the best luck buying broken rack mounted UPS
> units from data-centers and utility companies, ignoring all the high
> voltage/death/no-user-serviceable-parts-inside warnings, safely
> discharging the capacitors and fixing the units usually by soldering
> replacements for the broken parts in.

I recently invented a new way to break a UPS, a circa 2002 APC
DLA1500, while replacing the batteries. The circuit board is mounted
above the batteries with components down. While pushing the new
batteries in to the cavity intended for them, the cabling (I think)
managed to shear a couple of the components partially off the board.
One is an easily replaced capacitor, but the second one is a custom
wound multi-tap transformer. If someone would like to bring it back to
life, either by rewinding the transformer or scavenging the part from
another broken APC UPS, they are welcome to try (let me know how you'd
like to receive the parts). I've chosen to solve my problem in a
different manner.

--
Russell Senior
russell at personaltelco.net