[PLUG] please stop modifying the message body

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri May 28 01:30:04 UTC 2021

>>>>> "james" == james  <james at bertelson.me> writes:

james> It definitely seems clear that the problem is with specific
james> private email services, not the mailing list specifically nor
james> email transport technically speaking as defined in the RFCs.

james> The solution then seems equally clear - vote with your
james> dollars. Short of giving recommendations for specific providers
james> the adage that if you're not paying money you're the product
james> being sold is especially and particularly true regarding email
james> hosting. Linux users are a resourceful sort but self-hosting
james> email is a cure worse than the disease. Before I gave up and paid
james> a company to host my email I was paying Amazon for the privilege
james> of proxying through their SMTP servers to get other SMTP servers
james> to trust my email. So, not actually even self hosting at that
james> point AND paying protection money in order to get my email
james> delivered.  Nor am I implicitly recommending my current provider,
james> who could easily be deduced and to whom I'm at best
james> ambivalent. My search for email solutions also continues to
james> continue.

For fun and irony, gmail on my phone warned me to be careful about the
email (Message-ID: <f14847b8ebeaaa1ed0351c71145f06c6 at bertelson.me>) I am
currently replying to. I told gmail it "looked safe". I have no idea
what google does with that information, if it is entirely local to my
account or whether it goes into to some more general algorithm.

I suspect, since I'm sending this from my own mail server, gmail may
have a similar warning for others about mine.

--
Russell Senior
russell at personaltelco.net