[PLUG] Guiding Windows user to Linux

Ben Koenig techkoenig at protonmail.com
Fri Oct 8 15:55:53 UTC 2021

If memory serves you can usually find total HDD space pretty easily though the exact terminology varies from one windows version to the next. Either right click on My Computer or pop open the Disk Manager if that fails.

In general, if you open the file manager you should see something on the left-hand panel that says "My Computer" or just "Computer". This will be there regardless of which folder you have open so you can always just click on whatever you use to access your documents or files.

Once you find the Computer button, just right click-> properties. This should give you the size of you C:\ drive which is going to represent a majority of the disk. You can approximate total HDD size from there without having to walk someone through accessing the Disk Management tool.

On any linux distro its just Terminal-> "df -h" which contrary to popular belief is much easier walk someone through over the phone....

-Ben