[PLUG] Guiding Windows user to Linux

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Oct 8 16:41:17 UTC 2021

On 10/08/2021 10:51 AM, Russell Senior wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2021 at 7:33 AM Ben Koenig <techkoenig at protonmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Whatever you do dont give them gnome or ubuntu. Things won't end well :(
>
> Fwiw, my advice is the opposite. With some minor tweaks (literally
> with the gnome tweak tool, which regrettably you need to install), I
> would recommend Ubuntu and Gnome for a comfortable desktop and "just
> works" convenience.  I have a group of people (family and friends)
> that I converted to Linux and they all use it comfortably.
>
> I have a little howto doc to remember to tweak things the way I like
> (basically turning on more visual cues, menus and status bars and
> such) that I use to set up new installs.
>
> Tastes differ, of course. YMMV, of course, but personally, it has ended
> well.

I was a satisfied user of gnome2. Gnome3 came along with ugly and
annoying defaults and without info on how to get back to what I was used
to. I'm installing Bullseye on one machine this weekend. I'll see if the
gnome tweak tool will give me what I want. To make it a fair test could
you send me your "howto doc"?

As to Ubuntu, when I switched from WinXP to Linux it too efficiently hid
the interface needed to run a dial-up modem.  Later Canonical was too M$
like in thinking its way was the one true way. Like M$ they do make
reasonable default choices but I'm an independent thinker <snicker>.