[PLUG] REVISED "Guiding Windows user to Linux"

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sun Oct 10 11:37:20 UTC 2021

On 10/08/2021 09:02 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I've been providing informal support to a local couple for decades. He
> is a retired pastor, now a missionary. A few years ago they bought a
> computer from  a local big box store. It has problems and customer
> support has been inadequate. As part of my support for the missions
> agency, I'll be purchasing a replacement. As I've not used Windows since
> WinXP and they are pure Windows users I will set it up to dual boot
> Windows and Debian. I've bought several refurbished machines from a
> local company and have watched them deal with non-techie customers. That
> will provide expert Windows support if/when needed.
> [snip thread of questions]

When I wrote that I was thinking to:
   1. have Debian available because I am familiar with its tools.
   2. install WINE to see if their "must have" apps would  run.

Two things have occurred:
   1. Ben said that Windows10's desktop resembles Linux.
   2. in a discussion about WINE on debian-user I was asked if I had
      considered using a VM.

That has me considering installing a VM on their machine in which I
would run Debian. That would give me access to familiar tools and I
could have them easily test FOSS replacements for the apps they
currently use. It would also simplify logistics if support is needed
from my hardware vendor.

Comments?
TIA