[PLUG] ATTENTION REQUIRED | ONE MORE STEP

tgrom.automail at nuegia.net tgrom.automail at nuegia.net
Sat Oct 16 02:57:35 UTC 2021

I just ended up having to write an email to a site's tech contact via
their whois records because their website has been down for the past
two days. Replaced with the message:

Checking your browser before accessing example.tld.

This process is automatic. Your browser will redirect to your requested
content shortly.

Please allow up to 5 seconds…
DDoS protection by Cloudflare

a new change from the usual ATTENTION REQUIRED | ONE MORE STEP
oh so your human? Name every stoplight

Apparently I'm not the only one with this problem, as seen by
https://git.fuwafuwa.moe/you/stop_cloudflare/src/branch/master/PEOPLE.md

They are marketing themselves as some kind of ddos
protection site to prevent downtime, but in actuality when websites use
cloudflare, their website in inaccessible and is effectively down. Down
when it wouldn't be if no cloudflare was used.

webmasters seem to fall for Cloudflare's shady marketing
tactics, making claims like it will ""speed up"" your site or that your
site /needs/ a ""CDN"" when they aren't streaming video or doing
something latency intensive. I'm surprised they continue on with these
dubious at best advertising claims.

Cloudflare's near-monopoly on popular websites has put them in a
position of power; which they use to censor the internet by making
absurd claims that I and many other people are robots and blocking
their access websites. Or saying I have "A VIRUS" on my network without
any evidence. Using that baseless claim as justification. I have
noticed it really seems to just block every browser that isn't google
chrome or mozilla firefox (90% google funded).

Surely there are laws to prevent this kind of thing? If there aren't
like like to discuss potential laws that could be put in place, at
least local at first to stop cloudflare.
--
 _______________________________________
/  Against his wishes, a math teacher's \
| classroom was remodeled. Ever since,  |
| he's been talking about the good old  |
| dais. His students planted a small    |
| orchard in his honor; the trees all   |
\ have square roots.                    /
 ---------------------------------------
\
 \
   /\   /\