[PLUG] New curated search engine: neeva.com

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 07:55:03 UTC 2021

"Remember when Google worked surprisingly well? Google is becoming worse
than useless."

Your criticism doesn't give me much to go on for offering useful/helpful
suggestions.

FIrstly, I was curious about your idea of "search engine testing" because I
couldn't imagine how I'd go about doing this. In my search, I discovered
there are search engine evaluator jobs at burger flipper pay scale.

Then I searched for reviews of search engines and I came across this very
unimpressive, to say the least, review of Neeva.
https://www.stanventures.com/blog/top-search-engines-list/

"Neeva is a search engine developed by an ex-Google executive, Sridhar
Ramaswamy. Unlike Google, Neeva will not show ads on the search result page
or collect user data for profit.

It will work on a subscription-based model and will display search results
curated from the web as well as personalized files.

The search engine will be powered by Microsoft Bing, weather information
from weather.com, stock data from Intrinio, maps from Apple."

In my search on web search engines, I discovered something that might be
helpful. There's many alternatives to Google Search and some of them are
very focused/specialized and may produce better results. A great example is
Wolfram Alpha. IMHO, it's the goto search engine for math & science but now
they've expanded their search capability. https://www.wolframalpha.com/

I recently learned about Tineye, reverse image search, from a journalist
who used it to debunk some doctored images used as propaganda.
https://tineye.com/

I discovered that Creative Commons has a reusable content search. "Browse
over 500 million images available for reuse"
https://search.creativecommons.org/

Lastly, If I'm looking for research papers, case studies, etc, I've yet to
find a better search engine than Google Scholar. But unfortunately, much of
that information is behind paywalls. Which is a whole nother problem that
desperately needs addressing.

Well, I hope this isn't a complete waste of your time and perhaps might
offer something in your quest for a better than useless search engine.
Cheers!