[PLUG] Crude comparisons of search engines

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Sep 5 21:06:41 UTC 2021

Just for grins, I tried entering "Keith Lofstrom" (with the
quotes) into various search engines.

Google:              96 shown, though 9000+ claimed
Bing:               311 shown, though 6800+ claimed
Mojeek:             478 shown
Neeva:              318 shown
DuckDuckGo:         151 shown
Microsoft Academic: 700+ academic citations shown (mostly
for a y2000 paper that spawned a new branch of electronics,
it's amusing to see what others have done with the idea).

Mojeek did pretty well.  Neeva is two months out of the
gate, and mostly Bing with serial numbers filed off.
I'll see if Neeva improves.

Note that Microsoft Academic shuts down at the end of
the year, claimed replacements are still in beta.
M$A is very good for laddering through citations and
learning about other researchers; I'll miss that.

Amusingly, I've created almost a thousand searchable wiki
pages that have my name at the bottom; few are found
above.  What those wiki pages don't yet have is https and
certs.  When I finish upgrading my server and flailing at
certbot, we will see how the search engines react.

And of course, most of the time I'm not searching for me,
though sometimes I search for impersonators.  I will try
other search sets Real Soon Now.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com