[PLUG] Proton mail not exempt from surveillance

Ben Koenig techkoenig at protonmail.com
Wed Sep 8 03:10:48 UTC 2021

Legally speaking all servers keep IP logs. This is an intersection between technical definition and legal terminology.

In order for a host to communicate over the internet, it needs to hold onto the IP address of the host it communicates with. It can hold onto this IP in RAM for 5 seconds or log it to persistent storage for future use. Either way it obtained the IP and can choose to do something with it. Lawyers and politicians don't give a flying fuck about the difference between an IP in a text file and a log file sitting in volatile memory.

The legal explanation of this is clearly stated here:
https://protonmail.com/blog/climate-activist-arrest/

"As detailed in our transparency report, our published threat model, and also our privacy policy, under Swiss law, Proton can be forced to collect information on accounts belonging to users under Swiss criminal investigation. This is obviously not done by default, but only if Proton gets a legal order for a specific account."

What happens when psg.com gets a court order? ;-)
-Ben