[PLUG] Terabyte paper tape

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 03:54:30 UTC 2021

All of this brings back fond memories of my time at DEC in San
German PR. I started out as a service tech in the plant. They hired
a group of 11 of us. I got on because the guy who worked on the
model 33 and 35 tty's knew me from being a ham radio op and I
also had a collection of model 15 and 28 tty's. I started out being
taught the goings on of the PDP8, been a long time ago but recall
pulling CORE memory out of a machine after loading a routine in
it and moving it to another machine, booting the machine and off
went what was in core memory. Also remember the PDP 8 test
stations in the test area of the plant, we used to tell the test folks
not to step on the heavy cables that ran from a pdp11 out to the
pdp8 test stations, we would tell them that in stepping on the cables
they would block the electron flow....

Late on a got moved into QC, we had the lowest reject rate in all
of the DEC production plants. I also helped my buddy with the
printers, the Teletype machines always wanted to have a nice oil
bath. Getting across the 20 or 60ma loop was not fun either it would
clearly light your day up, especially if it was carrying data.

When I was moved into memory test we had a large 6 ft rack of
pcb cards (flip chips) and a PDP11. You would plug a memory
board into it and run a test, it would give you the timing of your
memory as a graph, you wanted to talk to the memory as near
as possible in the middle of the graph that sort of looked like an
eye (not quite an eye pattern but sort of an eye, the more open
it was the less likely to have data errors moving data in and out
of the cores.  This test machine had a fan fold of code kept in the
bottom of the rack. If it had issues which you could not figure out
you would pull the fan fold out and start going down through the
code, at the very end of it was the instruction to take a 2x4 which
was hanging on the side of the rack, and whack the rack, the whack
was to be given exactly where the instructions said to do so, usually
if it got down to that, the whack would take care of it.

I recall building a batch of pdp8 machines on a special weather proof
mount for putting on a tractor, they were sent to Ireland where they
were mounted on tractors as part of a potato separating machine as
the potatoes were turned over by the tractor. I also recall the vibration
table breaking a couple of times, the fix was to put an inverter in a
car and put a machine in there clamped down to the floor of the
back of the car, then drive down the roughest road we could find.

Also remember the hard drives for the PDP10 that accounting used
they were the size of a top filled washer and had a similar lid on them
you opened the lid grabbed a handle gave it a turn and pulled out
the whole disk which was more like an upside down wash tub.

Ahh paper tape. We had some machines (burpees) that punched
at 1200 cps...  It was sort of a screaming noise. Yes a lot of smell
of electronics with oil.

Those were fun times.

--

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.