[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] The lion in Salem

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Wed Aug 27 20:53:36 UTC 2003

[moved to talk, as this has absolutely nothing to do with linux.. ]

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 12:43, Paul Mullen wrote:
> The important distinction here being that I can freely choose not to do
> business with Kinko's, the BPA, and the phone company (to use your
> examples) and resonably expect that men with guns are *not* going to
> come take me away.

I'd argue that the idea that you can freely choose who to do business
with is an illusion.  Unless you pull a Kaczynski and remove yourself
from society you WILL use the BPA and phone company indirectly.
Everything you buy and do touches both of those things at some point,
even if you don't directly, that constitutes use and payment IMO.  You
can probably live Kinko's free though.

> You can't say that about government institutions.

I'd say you could: move..

> Of course, what this conversation really demonstrates is the absurdity of
> the concept of so-called "public property."

Very true.

--Brent