[PLUG-TALK] O.J. and guns

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Fri Jul 2 13:17:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 04:08, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, AthlonRob wrote:
> > Yup, the victims do find it hard to press charges and/or get out... but
> > I think the system needs to do something to work around this.  IMHO,
> > that's a great part of where the system fails everybody.
>
> You guys are looking at the wrong end of the problem.
>
> The system fails when people are desperate, lonely, and miserable and turn
> to violence to solve their problems.
>
> If we put more effort into taking away causes, we wouldn't have to put so
> much effort into dealing with consequences.

Yeah, but it's much easier to see the problem after it has blown up.
It's easier to punish than help, besides, somebody might take advantage
of any help, look how people abuse the welfare system.  And why should
the government take my money that I worked hard for to give to some alky
or crack head so they can eat and have a place to live and get treatment
for their addiction, let them live on the street and steal.  If they die
in the gutter it's no skin off my nose (just as long as I don't have to
see the body).

Yeah that's the ticket.

--
Brian Beattie   LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
beattie at beattie-home.net | It's about dealing with the consequences."