[PLUG-TALK] Re: small shotgun?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Tue Jul 13 16:54:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 09:38 -0700, Russ Johnson wrote:
> While I agree with the argument in principal, I have a good friend from
> Oz. He lives in Sydney, and has shown me statistics that per capita, gun
> crime and violent crime in general, is less prevalent in Oz.
>
> Now this could just be an education issue, but he claims it's because
> guns are not as widespread there as here.

Violent crime in the United States is more common than in any other
industrialized nation (at least, that's what they keep telling me).
Now, he says gun crime and violent crime are less prevalent, but is that
compared to the US or compared to pre-gunban?

We already know we suck when it comes to crime... there are a multitude
of reasons for this that I think are not so directly related to gun
control.

We're comparing apples and oranges if we try to deduce the effect of
guns on crimes by comparing Australia to the US... what you need to do
is compare pre-ban and post-ban crime rates to figure anything out.

--
Rob                                |  If not safe,
   Jabber: athlonrob at axpr.net   |    one can never be free.