[PLUG-TALK] International Editions of O'Reilly Books

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Jan 22 00:11:21 UTC 2005

And here I thought I was saving money - I went to Abebooks looking
for a copy of Friedl's "Mastering Regular Expressions" 2nd Ed,
ISBN 0596002890 .  This otherwise-fine search service told me the
lowest cost copy was from Reliable Book Service in Antioch, TN .
It was advertised as "SOFTCOVER INTERNATIONAL EDITION - Brand New
Book (Shrink Wrapped)".  I saved a whole 87 cents over Amazon.  :-/

In actual fact, this turned out to be the Shroff reprint edition
for the Indian market, ISBN 8173665087.  Grainy, acid-smelling
paper, sloppy printing (smudged letters, streaks, stains ), and
of course the "for sale only in India" messages inked over or
razor-bladed out.

So I dropped a dime on them, and ratted them out to O'Reilly legal.
Not sure I like international market segmentation, but I dislike
fraud worse.

Beware, there are all sorts of crooks out there ...