[PLUG-TALK] 6 million per year

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue May 3 09:57:52 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Keith" == Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> writes:

Keith> I am getting about 12 spam email attempts per minute to my
Keith> server, and it has been doubling every few months or so.  That
Keith> is a bit over 6.3 million attempts per year, and it will
Keith> probably be up to 1 per second by the end of the year.
Keith> Thankfully, in most cases the sender address does not resolve,
Keith> and so the mail bounces before it reaches the content filters
Keith> and spamassassin (which needs tuning, but gets about 140
Keith> residual spams per day and passes about 10 of them).

I checked last week and found the following:

Handling mail for 4 domains, I get about (checking last weeks log...)
24000 delivery attempts a week.  That's just 1 every 25 seconds.  I
use greylisting.  Of the 24000, about 9600 are accepted for spam
checking.  About 7000 of those are filtered out by spamassassin as
spam.  I don't have good statistics on the remaining 2600, but I am
subscribed to lots of mailing lists, including linux-kernel, so that
could explain it alone ;-).  Just by feel I probably mark manually
about a couple dozen spams a day.  Some probably slip by for a while
in unread mailing lists.

Neither my 400 MHz PII mail server, nor my piddly DSL connection seem
to notice.  Including all traffic (not including personal websurfing,
which goes out a different connection), my connection averages about
2.4 kbps.

FWIW.

seniorr at aracnet.com