[PLUG-TALK] winWord Typeface

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue May 31 09:27:07 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 16:11 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I find it fascinating that every time I get a winWord doc from someone
> (usually an agency, but it could be a private party, too), it's always in
> Times 12 pt. and there are always two spaces after each period.
>
>    Is this the only font that comes with winWord? And, haven't folks
> discovered that they are no longer using a typewriter with a monospace font
> so there is no need for two spaces to distinguish sentences?
>
>    I suppose it's just bureaucratic drone-ness at work. No imagination. Never
> daring to be different. Not caring.

Actually there is a good reason to use two spaces.  It helps people
distinguish between a period and a comma.  (The screen I am using right
now, it is hard to tell the difference unless I look closely.  1920x1200
squeezed into a laptop display will do that.)

--
"If any sign of pleasure is exhibited,
 report to me and it will be prohibited.