[PLUG-TALK] azimuth/elevation mount construction

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Aug 15 01:59:21 UTC 2006

I want to build a platform to be able to accurately point an antenna.
At a minimum, I want something that I can adjust monotonically, using
manual crank arms or hand wheels.  The input doesn't need to have a
linear response (i.e. one turn == X degrees of rotation), though
that'd be a nice perk.  Thinking about how to construct one of these,
the simplest thing I could think of is a jack screw kind of apparatus,
like on a vice... turn crank, create motion.  A worm gear would work
too.  Oh, and the parts need to be inexpensive.

Okay, my problem is, I am not a machinist and I have no idea where to
find this stuff that I am visualizing, what the parts are called (so
as to search for or ask for) or whatever.  This more or less has me
stymied.

Any clues?

Thanks.

seniorr at aracnet.com