[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] steam powered clinic bonus

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 16 22:53:49 UTC 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, Russell Senior wrote:

> I can tell you with good authority that biking along side is likely to be
> a Vastly More Interesting Experience(tm) than riding *on* the train.  The
> boys and I did that last weekend, and we might as well have been on an
> elevator, albeit one with nice windows.  We were directed to the far end
> of the train, a nice old dining car, but the only clue we had that the
> train was being pushed by a steam engine were the occasional faint whistle
> toots, and the occasional vague glimpses of steam far away when we went
> around curves.  I am glad to have contributed to their fund-raising, but
> the ride itself could be described in two words: "boon" & "doggle".  Or
> slightly more verbosely: "45 minutes of my life I will never get back
> again."

Russell,

   If you and your boys want a more authentic steam train ride, wait until
next summer and take a long weekend in Virginia City, NV (a half-hour drive
south of Reno on 395, then up the Sierras). The Virginia & Truckee RR runs
between there and Gold Hill to the south and you get to ride in open cars
with benches.

   You can also go inside working mines (it's on the Comstock Lode), see the
building where Mark Twain wrote for the local newspaper, and have a great
time with the old buildings, mines, railroad, museums, and more. No WiFi,
but a great time for kids and adults.