[PLUG-TALK] Web 2.0?

Mark A. Turner turner at glsuite.com
Fri Nov 10 16:31:05 UTC 2006

> Rich Shepard wrote:
> >   To what does "web 2.0" refer? I see the term in various contexts
but
> > cannot figure out what it's supposed to be based on those contexts.
>
> It's a meaningless buzzword used by alpha males trying to impress
> technology investors with their linguistic and hermeneutic abilities.

Umm no. Web 2.0 is a buzzword but hardly "meaningless". IMHO it is a
reference to the more recent focus on Usability/Standards based design
approaches that have been used more and more over the past 4-5 years.
More companies are starting to pop up and offer simple yet impressive
web applications that rely heavily on user interaction and user provided
data.
A more recent focus of the "Web 2.0" area is AJAX because it's providing
a MUCH better user experience when its used right(Sometimes is just
pointless *cough*drag and drop*cough*).

In short I would say Web 2.0 is a change in focus for web application
developers from "What do people really need and how can I sell it?" to
"Holy crap web-based post-it notes are a killer idea I will worry about
making money later!".

I for one am enjoying the amount of innovative applications be developed
on the web, and its nice to see the bloat go away.

-mark