[PLUG-TALK] Electronics repair

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Sep 18 21:43:12 UTC 2006

Hi!

Like everyone else, I'm incompetent at almost everything.  One of the
things about which I would say I know essentially nothing is electrical
engineering.  I am also a rather poor electronics technician.  As a
result, what seems like a fairly straightforward job has me utterly
baffled.

I have a stereo amplifier that, about three years ago, started shutting
itself off during certain volume peaks.  It's 100% reproducible, you just
have to find the volume at which the particular thing being played will
trigger the shutoff.

The display on the tuner gives a little code (F61) when this happens and
using that and the amp model number, I did a Google search.

The result of the search was that some hobbyists on a spanish language web
forum were able to repair exactly this problem with their units by, near
as the translation can tell me, placing a 24 volt diode near a power
relay... or maybe replacing a diode with a 24-volt one.  Hard to tell.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can take this thing to have the necessary
diagnostic and replacement done?  The stereo isn't the fanciest thing in
the world, so my budget for the project is about $100 at an absolute
maximum.  Any more, and I start justifying a whole new playback system for
my living room.

[I'm kind of hoping one of the pluggers will be able to do this for me in
exchange for reasonable remuneration -- just to be clear.]

Also, I'd like to have it all done and working before my birthday shindig
on the 14th of October.

Thanks for any help.
J.
--