[PLUG-TALK] Digitizing Records on a Linux Box

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Mon Feb 18 22:52:49 UTC 2008

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Paul Mullen wrote:

>> arecord is dirt simple to use. The following records in so-called "CD
>> quality" to a plain WAV file, with a time limit of 45 minutes:

>    OK. This is all new to me, so I'll take everyone's advice.

We tried several settings, when converting from wav to mp3, and found
that we could not tell the difference between full CD quality (320 kbps)
and 256 kbps. I've heard folks claim that 192, or 128 kpbs are good
enough. Your ear mileage will vary, depending on the kind of music you
listen to, and probably your ears, too. For us, listening primarily to
classical music, 192 kbps was not as good as 256.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens