[PLUG-TALK] Audacity - Equalization for 78s

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Feb 22 18:48:08 UTC 2008

The Ion iTTUSB turntable needle for 78's came, so I'm playing around
with converting some 78's to .wav files.

On http://audacityteam.org/wiki/index.php?title=USB_turntables there is
a discussion about RIAA recording curves, and how they were not used
until the 1950s. It says, "...you would be advised after recording to
use Effect > Equalization in Audacity and draw and apply the reverse of
the RIAA playback curve,..." Does that mean that just picking that eq
curve in the dialog box does the reverse? In other words, does Audacity
have a copy of the reverse of the RIAA curve, or does it have the actual
curve that I have to some how figure out how to reverse?

I've listened to the .wav file both with and without applying the curve,
and don't hear that much difference.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens