[PLUG-TALK] USB WiFi

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Oct 4 20:01:25 UTC 2008

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> 1. I don't know about the radio power ... this should all be documented,
> at least nominally, in the FCC documentation for the unit.

Ed,

   Then I'll go look for it.

> First, it has to see the access point. Then, you have to get your
> authentication stuff straightened out. *Then* you have to get your IP
> address, usually with DHCP.

   What's 2? When the interface is up and running, I try running dhcpcd.
Never explicitly did any authentication stuff ... as far as I know.

> If your PCMCIA card is getting steps one and two but not three, your radio
> is fine. Try using the debug options on dhcpcd, running it as root from
> the command line, looking in /var/log/messages, etc., if everything is
> working except the IP address part.

   Last year when I had a problem I used the debug options but could not
determine what the problem was. Messages meant nothing to me.

   I guess then that the occasional issues I face in small Nevada towns has
nothing to do with the radio or my notebook. Wish I knew more so I could fix
the problem (other than a downed server which stopped me on the last two
trips).

Thanks,