[PLUG-TALK] Laptop Key Issue

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Apr 2 09:36:45 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:15:52 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>    The Ctrl key cap came off on our Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop and I'm having
> problems putting it back on. The cap is flat but fits on studs on the
> underlying frame. That frame is spring mounted on the base. I cannot hold up
> the frame to properly fit the cap back on. When I do get the cap on, it's in
> the down position rather than the up position. Not having a working Ctrl key
> is a PITA.
>
>    Do we have a keyboard repair expert here? Is there some place closer than
> far southwest Beaverton to have it fixed? Do I need a complete replacement
> keyboard?

Last time this happened to me was on my first Linux computer, a Compaq
R3240. Compaq keyboards suck rocks. Like you, I found it impossible to
get the cap back on. Eventually I found it was much simpler to buy a
replacement keyboard. I got one on eBay for $50 or so, and it took only
half an hour to take the laptop apart and install the replacement
keyboard. I found complete repair manuals on hp.com.