[PLUG-TALK] used laptops [was Laptop Key Issue]

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Mon Apr 6 18:33:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:24:37PM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> > What are some brands/models which are good candidates? My interest
> > is primarily for a backup machine which would allow me to plead
> > for help if/when my only machine,a desktop, develops a disabling
> > problem.  A CD/DVD drive seems to me to be a requirement, so the
> > EEE-pc type of thing is less attractive.
> >
> > I realize this is a broad question.  Does <$300 narrow the field?

I don't have any answers off-hand, but if I was the one doing the
shopping, I'd see what people were selling in my price range and then
research the Linux compatibility of what's out there.

Craigslist is usually the first place I look:
http://portland.craigslist.org/search/sys?query=laptop&srchType=T&minAsk=min&maxAsk=300

TuxMobil has a long list of links to of laptop Linux installation
HOWTOs:
http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

For instance, here's a ThinkPad T23 for a mere $175:
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sys/1100205504.html

There are a few dozen T23-specific HOWTOs linked to from the TuxMobil
IBM page:
http://tuxmobil.org/ibm.html

--
Paul