[PLUG-TALK] Linux Conferences leaving Portland

MJang mike at mommabears.com
Fri May 8 12:12:24 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 05:56 -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> On Thursday 07 May 2009 18:24:35 MJang wrote:
> > First Ubuntu Live does a year in Portland, and then disappears.
> > Earlier this year, we hear that OSCON is moving to San Jose.
> > Now there's an announcement from the Linux Plumbers that they're
> looking
> > for a new location for 2010.

snip

> As I understand it the extra time and expense to fly into Portland is
> a major negative. At least for OSCON San Jose is very convenient for a
> large number of the attendees.

I guess I'm getting at something more specific - is there anything that
we can (or should) do as the - Portland - Linux Users Group to help
Portland keep Linux conferences?

Yes, much of the attendance is from the Bay Area, but I assume they come
to Portland to do more than just pay homage to Linus.

Is it in our interest to keep more Linux stuff in Portland?

Thanks,
Mike