[PLUG-TALK] EULAs and licenses

wes plug at the-wes.com
Wed Sep 16 13:42:38 UTC 2009

I want to find out if running third party services in place of Microsoft
services violates any licenses.

For example, Windows XP places an arbitrary restriction on the number of
simultaneous open SMB (file sharing, like \\computername) connections. You
can't have more
than 10 people connect.

Samba for Windows fixes this, but is there some legal restriction on doing
that? Did I click "I Agree" on some long-winded EULA I didn't read that
includes a clause about replacing Microsoft OS components with third party
software?

How would I go about finding a lawyer familiar with EULA language?

-wes