[PLUG-TALK] EULAs and licenses

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Sep 16 20:15:21 UTC 2009

>>>>> "wes" == wes  <plug at the-wes.com> writes:

wes>    I want to find out if running third party services in place of
wes> Microsoft services violates any licenses.

IANAL, but ... wtf?  Even if it is in the EULA: a) it is probably
(again, IANAL) unenforceable; b) Samba isn't MS's software, their EULA
can't possibly (IANAL) apply to software that isn't theirs; and c) if
on some insane alien nightmare world (IANAL) it *is* enforceable, then
it's high time to stop using MS software with egregious terms such as
those.

My advice (IANAL) is to ignore any terms that you think are insane and
let people complain about it if they want to.  At a minimum, they
should be made to suffer the public embarrassment of claiming insane
rights.

seniorr at aracnet.com