[PLUG-TALK] ADSL Service vs. Transfer Speeds

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 24 22:20:40 UTC 2009

   I wrote to tech support at aracnet/spiritone but have not seen a response.
Perhaps someone here knows the answer to my question.

   My ADSL service is listed as 768K up/ 156K down. However, I have seen file
transfer speeds only 1/10 those speeds. That is, I normally see a maximum
download of 77kbps down and 15kbps up. Usually the transfer speed is not an
issue (except now that I'm trying to upload a 35M file to mediafire.com, and
that's not working).

   What might account for a 90% difference between the supposed and actual
speeds?