[PLUG-TALK] ADSL Service vs. Transfer Speeds

drew wymore drew.wymore at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 15:36:30 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>   I wrote to tech support at aracnet/spiritone but have not seen a
> response.
> Perhaps someone here knows the answer to my question.
>
>   My ADSL service is listed as 768K up/ 156K down. However, I have seen
> file
> transfer speeds only 1/10 those speeds. That is, I normally see a maximum
> download of 77kbps down and 15kbps up. Usually the transfer speed is not an
> issue (except now that I'm trying to upload a 35M file to mediafire.com,
> and
> that's not working).
>
>   What might account for a 90% difference between the supposed and actual
> speeds?
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity            Credibility
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |            Innovation
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax:
> 503-667-8863

At 768k you're looking at a theoretical max of 96k downstream on download
tests etc. On 160k up you're looking at 20k up. The problem is that in the
switches that are owned by Verizon (that speed package looks like VZN)
they'll set your peak rate at 768 and your sustained rate to about half of
that, so 384k, this on the transport before it ever reaches
SpiritOne/Aracnet so they really have no control over it. So during high
traffic hours on the telco network side your traffic is going to be tagged
at a lower priority to that of say a T1 customer who runs over the same
switches. That is probably why you average 77k down which is faster than
your sustained rate but below your peak rate which seems about right. Hope
some of that information may be useful.

Drew-