[PLUG-TALK] Trade 16U for 12U rack

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Aug 12 21:34:30 UTC 2010

I have a 19 inch, 16U rack with 10U worth of instruments in it.
It is a little too tall to fit under a workbench (29.5 inch max).
I would like to trade it for an 12U or 14U closed rack, at least
15 inches deep; up to 24 inches deep would be fine, but no open
racks, too flimsy.

The 16U rack is 30 inches high, 22.2 inches wide, 15 inches deep,
and on 4 heavy duty casters, raising it to 31.5 inches.  I'm
guessing the rack is 40 years old.  The instrument bay is
standard 19 inch wide, with a 28 inch (16x1.75 inch) vertical
inside dimension.  No built-in power or cooling.  Very heavy
gauge metal, it is currently holding about 200 pounds of power
supplies with no noticable flexing.

I would like both the existing and the replacement rack together
to transfer the instruments.  If the replacement rack does not
have casters, I will want time to buy some and attach them
before the transfer.