[PLUG-TALK] Kids and risks

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 16:08:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net>wrote:

> As a current parent that is qualified to comment, I think that the
> whole medicate-the-child thing, to the degree that it ever existed, is
> mostly a thing of the past, a fad or trend that was arrested and
> reversed.  None of my kids' peers is on behavior meds afaik.  The
> whole controversy might well have been an overblown product of teevee
> news's fevered imagination, something to get viewers worked up.

> Russell Senior,

I agree that over-medication/unnecessary medication has/does happen.  I
sense that caution on the part of parents and health practitioners has
increased in recent years.  However, I know of cases where medication has
been of great benefit.  My wife's experience as a tutor of K-8, my
experience as H.S. tutor, and my observation of at least one peer of my son
convinces me that there are medical conditions which can disrupt both
academic and social learning.

-Denis