[PLUG-TALK] Kids and risks

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Dec 4 10:37:36 PST 2011

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011, Richard Powell wrote:

> I think many people, I would wager *especially* in Portland Oregon,
> realize that those encouraging such wide use of meds were either part of
> big pharma, or those that did not see their (big pharma's) true
> motivation. Greed. I don't mean to say there aren't legitimate good
> hearted people inventing or promoting such drugs in special/extreme cases.
> I just think there's a more balanced approach in many more people these
> days.

   About 10-15 years ago the big news was from East Wenatchee, WA, and a
therapist there whose goal was to put everyone in the city on Prozak. From
here it was alternately amusing and sad. I don't recall whatever happened to
him, but I think he was stuffed in a pill bottle and rolled out of town.

> Either way. The task of raising a child that is hyperactive, and with a
> short attention span is crazy difficult. He is a distraction to the other
> kids in his class that really want to listen/learn, and it is heart
> breaking to go through.

   I wonder if giving him more mature things to do or as targets of his
attention would make any difference.

> The next dozen or so years will be difficult.  I know that.

   Wait'll he gets his driving license and wants to borrow the car for dates.
:-)