[PLUG-TALK] Arduino vs. Other Kid Toys

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 5 17:30:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> I've stood by the tree a few times as fretful children have yelled for
> help. I restated the rule and supervised their climb down. The kids always
> made it down safely without adult intervention, though on one occasion an
> older child climbed up and help a younger child find a good route down.
> The kids always felt more accomplished -- and often bragged about -- doing
> it themselves rather than getting help.

   Good for you, Paul!

> This article provides a very graphic view of the situation:
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-462091/How-children-lost-right-roam-generations.html

   That does present an interesting history. I think we'd all agree that the
ability of kids to roam alone should vary with location and specific
circumstances. Like everything else, one size solutions do not fit all
situations.

   Thanks for your insights and the pointer to the Mail article.