[PLUG-TALK] Kids and risks

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Dec 5 17:59:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
>> When I was a counselor, back in the late 70s and early 80s, it was
>> rare to have even one kid of your cabin (9 to 10 kids) on meds. My
>> daughter, a counselor last summer, tells me it's now extremely rare
>> to have an entire cabin of kids without meds.
>
>   I may very well be wrong, but I suspect the kids haven't changed
> much in this period.

Obviously, I don't know what specific medications the children are
taking. Most camps have a policy that *any* meds, even multi-vitamins,
must be administered by the staff, so I haven't a clue if
antipsychotics or psychostimulants are widespread or not.

So it might not be fair to make specific charges about how parents
overmedicate children. Still, it's completely accurate to say that,
compared to the situation 30 or 40 years ago, far more parents and
doctors now do not trust children's diets to support their health.