[PLUG-TALK] Google is becoming increasingly annoying

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 02:45:40 UTC 2011

Google has suddenly decided that I want a column to the left of the
screen giving me options like Everything, Images Videos, News,
Shopping, and More. Google has also decided that, apparently based on
my IP address, I am in Portland, Oregon, and therefore I must surely
want advertising directed to Portland businesses. And the other day
Google started adding a comment at the bottom of each search result, as
if I give a rat's patootie what Google thinks of the site. And the
latest is that now I suddenly have a menu bar with Web, Images, Videos,
Maps, News, Shopping, Gmail, and More.

Is there a way to turn off this junk?