[PLUG-TALK] Google is becoming increasingly annoying

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 04:01:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 7:45 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> Google has suddenly decided that I want a column to the left of the
> screen giving me options like Everything, Images Videos, News,
> Shopping, and More. Google has also decided that, apparently based on
> my IP address, I am in Portland, Oregon, and therefore I must surely
> want advertising directed to Portland businesses. And the other day
> Google started adding a comment at the bottom of each search result, as
> if I give a rat's patootie what Google thinks of the site. And the
> latest is that now I suddenly have a menu bar with Web, Images, Videos,
> Maps, News, Shopping, Gmail, and More.
>
> Is there a way to turn off this junk?

And then there is the "+1" crap.  I searched to see if it were possible to
turn it off.  The solution appears to be using "adblock plus" with some
 code I did not try yet.

If you find a way to turn this stuff off, please let us know.

Anybody here have a recommended search engine to replace Google? It has
gotten that bad.

-Denis