[PLUG-TALK] Go linguistics!

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 22:06:37 UTC 2011

The following is from an investing e-mail we get:

While many think that teen texting represents the end of civilization as
we know it, in one instance it appears to be saving it, according to
Margaret Rock on Mobiledia. Teenagers and their texting habits have, in
some cases, rescued languages that were on the brink of extinction.
Linguistics researcher Samuel Herrera discovered that teens have begun
using nearly dead languages in their texting to create the sort of
"private language" that every teen dreams of. Languages in the
Philippines, Central America, and South America—such as Huilliche,
Kapampangan, and Huave—have been kept alive partially because teenagers
kept their texting fingers busy (although I have no idea how to say LOL
in Huilliche).

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens