[PLUG-TALK] Satellite Radio for Use in Two Vehicles

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 20 19:33:39 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 09:30:14AM -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:
> I recently installed a Pioneer HD Radio CD receiver (DEH-33HD) in my truck.

Second on the "install a new (or used) aftermarket noisybox in
your vehicle".  Though you may lack the skills to do the wiring,
your skills and time might be swappable with mine or Aaron's.

You can get a noisybox with the audio input, but you can also
get a noisybox with the Sirius capability built-in.  You can get
a second cage for the other vehicle so you can move the noisybox
back and forth, or take it into the motel room at night when the
"property rights casuals" are roaming the streets with screwdrivers.

The DIN form factor of the dash cutout is standard, even your 1985
vehicle should conform to it.  The cages vary, sadly, swapping
heterogeneous noisyboxes probably won't work, but there should
be enough commonality within brands that you can use the same
cage design for a Sirius receiver and a cheaper basic one.
Lots of possibilities here - research needed.

The main reason for a built-in is to keep the front seat clear and
your attention on at least the dash if not the road.  Fiddling with
something on the seat is dangerous;  airborne electronics in an
accident is far more dangerous.  I like what is going through your
head right now.  I doubt a pound of electronics going through your
head (when you get T-boned by a drunk rancher) would improve it.

A relative recently hit a deer while fiddling with knobs, driving
his truck through rural Colorado.  He didn't get hurt badly, but
the truck (and the venison) is a mess.  I'm buying him a "deerstalker"
(sherlock holmes) hat.  Don't force me to buy one for you, homes!