[PLUG-TALK] Housing Infrastructure (was Re: Attic Insulation)

David Mandel dmandel at davidmandel.com
Sun Jul 31 23:27:37 UTC 2011

Every sink, toilet, etc should have a value; but I have had problems
when these values get old and won't completely stop the flow of water.
 As a result, I have gone to putting in more and more values, so I can
turn off branches of my piping at a time without turning off all the
water to my property.  This is especially important on my farm where I
have to routinely turn off certain branches during winter freezes.  I
also use some of those values that allow water in the pipes to flow
back down into the soil below freezing level to keep water out of
above ground pipes that could freeze.

I use these same techniques at my home, but they aren't as extensive.
However, I am able to turn off the  water to any facets in both the
front and back yard.  I really wish I could turn off the water to the
upstairs bathroom without turning off all the house water; but I can't
do that.  If I ever remodel that area, I will take care of that
problem - and I intend to install a separate water heater for that
bathroom as well.  It is a long ways from the central water heater and
it takes forever to get hot water to it now.

As for water sensors - I don't use any of them.  I wish they were
cheaper.  Maybe I should look around.  One of my big problems with
water isn't so much water from plumbing; but rain water settling under
my house.  Wish the house had a basement; but it doesn't.  It doesn't
even have a reasonable crawl space, which makes it difficult to
examine the area for water.  I really should install a water triggered
pump, but I haven't.  That would be a lot of work.

David