[PLUG-TALK] DHS Wants Mozilla to Drop Firefox Add-on

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri May 6 00:55:37 UTC 2011

   Apparently, over the past year or so the federal government has been
seizing web site domain names when those sites have demonstrated copyright
or trademark restrictions. These sites quickly register a new name in
another country and an independent developer created an add-on tool that
would automatically redirect users entering the old, seized name to the new
site. Google searches get there, too, but take a bit longer.

   My question is why the Dept. of Homeland Security is trying to enforce
copyright and trademark laws. Isn't this the domain of the FTC? Seems to me
that copyright and trademark violations have nothing to do with domestic
security from terrorists. Or, have I missed something?