[PLUG-TALK] Fluke 87 multimeter

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon May 23 19:07:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 05:51:29PM -0700, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> 2) I see that this meter has what I judge to be a very clever feature--the
> drive to the LCD can be sent to the speaker so that the readings can be
> decoded and recorded.

http://www.circuitmaestro.com/Projects/DataHolster/DataHolster.html

That looks like a cool project.  I would use a TeensyDuino instead of a
68HC705, since they can act as USB devices, and are super-easy to program
under Linux.  (And also because I already have a handful of Teensys, and
could easily get more tonight at the DorkBot meeting.)

I'd probably also put an optisolator on the output of of the speaker, to
keep the Magic Smoke inside my PC.

Speaking of multimeter hacks, it turns out that many "no-name" multimeters
all use the same chip, which supports serial output:
http://flashingleds.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/unlocking-rs232-output-from-your-multimeter/