[PLUG-TALK] SOPA, PIPA, "Piracy", Incentives

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Jan 19 19:51:37 UTC 2012

There is one way that Hollywood Big Media has benefited me -
sorta.  They help make English the global language, and help
the US attract immigrants (whom some fools attempt to exclude).

I was at the Beaverton Library on Tuesday, watching a 40'ish
fellow,  apparently an east Asian immigrant, check out half a
dozen Hollywood action movie DVDs.  Not the Asian art flicks
from the next aisle.  His kids and nieces and nephews will all
speak English (or "Globish", thousands of pidgens and creoles),
and will use it to power their migration around the world.

I fear that 100 years from now, most languages will follow
Iroquois and Celtic into linguistic obscurity.  Hopefully
the merging of the creoles and cultures into Globish will
enrich us all, though we will lose something, too.

The question for 2012 is whether Hollywood, or communities
living in the free Internet, will do more in the future to
further the interconnection of global culture.  I'm betting
on the Internet;  I have net-buddies all over the world,
and we talk about code and coral and the cosmos, not about
pop stars.  Mass entertainment may have helped get us here,
but global community is more likely to carry us forward.