[PLUG-TALK] SOPA, PIPA, "Piracy", Incentives

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Jan 20 18:40:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:54:47PM -0800, Ronald Chmara wrote:
> Expenses always expand to line the pockets of as many people as can
> get themselves involved in a given enterprise....

A friend of mine coined "Hixon's Law":
   Successful systems attract parasites.

Busy cleaning out wikispam on my sites right now, and realizing
that these parasites are bothering us (rather than robbing
granny) because we are successful.  Perhaps in gratitude for
distracting the psychopaths, granny will bake us some muffins,
or write better security modules for our wiki software.

Seriously, modern industrial productivity has created a lot
of spare time, which is wealth.  And the entertainment industry
has grown to absorb that wealth.  We are competitors for that
wealth, turning passive couch potatos into creators, from
social networks to global technology development.  See Clay
Shirky's "Cognitive Surplus".